Alienation

I'm watching Nights in Rodanthe with Diane Lane and Richard Gere, two actors I like a lot. I've been waiting to see this movie because I couldn't go see it at the movie theatre. My hubby is not the romantic movie type, and my kids are not either!lol!

I just ate a belly full of sushi that I bought from Target. I love the sushi my local Target fixes up, it is pretty darn good! The kids are in the LR doing their own thing, one on the computer, the other playing a Wii game. Finally peace! Oh yeah, hubby is with his friends playing Table Tennis, his favourite thing to do.

The role that Richard Gere plays in this movie, he's a doctor, obviously a very successful one. But so far from what I 've seen his life has fallen a part. His wife has left him, divorce probably, haven't found that out yet.....my neighbor borrowed the phone since hers was out so I was interrupted. Didn't quite follow it when she left because the kids were a bit antsy again....Anyway, Richard's character. Dr. Paul Flanner's wife has left him, he doesn't have a relationship with his son.

Diane Lane's character, Adrienne Willis, is divorced from her husband, her oldest daughter, a teenager, doesn't talk to her right now. Not quite a good romantic movie it seems with so much alienation!I imagine that there are a few people who this has happened to, alienation. Why is it that to obtain one thing, other parts of your life can't seem to be as successful as that which you are successful at. Some people will work on a career and become the best at it. But in becoming successful at that career, they leave the rest of their lives behind. Their marriage suffer, the children suffer. Some are lucky when they have the support of their spouse through it all. Without that support, this individual would never, could never have a successful career and family life.

At work earlier we were talking about a famous athlete, that his wife divorced him and received $178 Million as the settlement. One of my co-workers who is unmarried remarked that this is why he would never get married. He doesn't believe that the wife deserves that money. He doesn't feel she earned it, because the guy did all the work. I asked him why he thinks that way, the wife had done a lot, she was the woman behind the man, the wind beneath his wing, the one who supported him, took care of his home and children so he wouldn't have to worry about anything but making a career for himself and taking care of them. My co-worker decided he didn't want to get into a discussion about it! Of course not, he would lose!lol!

I guess this is why the saying "you can't have it all" because it is going to be one or the other. You're either going to have a successful career, or marriage, or whatever it is you dedicate yourself fully and wholeheartedly to. I know some people do say they have it all. After all, they will have their jobs and a good marriage, (I think I do) though I will be the first to say that in order to have the good marriage I had to give something up, and I don't regret it.

For some people, they have just enough that they can handle, that is how it is supposed to be. It is never a good thing when loved ones are alienated from each other. Whatever you do in your lifetime, make sure that your loveones know how much you love them.

Comments