Ode to a Golden Girl

News of the passing of Beatrice Arthur, aka Bea Arthur, stopped me in my tracks for a moment. 

She was another of my favorite actresses on television, especially because she was one of my mother's favorite as well.  


I was first introduced to her through her sitcom "Maude", my mom of course 'knew' her since Archie Bunker days! 

 

In a sense Bea Arthur's characters that she played were so like my mom. Spunky and outspoken, don't take crap from no one, and still have a heart of gold!  She was a very funny lady and her roles became legendary for us.

 

When my mom was able to travel from our homeland and came to the US to spend time with me, one of her rituals was watching The Golden girls that came on in the morning on television, I think around 11:00 am and again in the evening at 6:00 pm.  I made sure to be there for the six 0'clock viewing.  As soon as I got home from work, we would have dinner and then she would settle on the sofa with a cup of tea to watch The Golden Girls! 

 

After my mom died, I continued to do that for a while, watching the sitcom sitting on the sofa in the same position I would be in and I felt as if she was there with me, in her spot, laughing her head off!  I spent many days laughing through my tears, and I still feel a bit teary when I catch one of those reruns.

 

Bea Arthur's passing tugged at my heart, and a tear slowly trickled down my face because I felt as if I had lost someone very special to me all over again.


As I watched the tribute to her on Good Morning America this morning, I quickly dashed at my tears so my little one wouldn't get sad to see her mommy crying, she might understand were I to explain it to her, but I was sending her off to school and our ritual was for her to leave with a hug, kiss and a smile!

 

I hope somehow in that place where all the good people go, my mom and Bea will meet up and have a laugh or too.  In my heart, they already have!

Comments