How it all began...

Do you remember that I told you I used to blog on another site? ( I do also blog on Live Journal) Well, I found an article I wrote four years ago.  It reminded me of why I started my fitness journey.  I wanted to share it with you!


“Ain’t as good as I once was”


I like that song by Toby Keith. (the video rocks too!) I so identify with it! It got me thinking about myself and how unhappy I am with me right now. Unhappy with the way my body is that is. I’m 41 years old and I’m beginning to actually feel my age. No, I’m not whining, I’ve just been doing some reflecting lately and I’m doing it ‘out loud’ this time!
I’ve been busy taking care of my home, my family and everything and everyone else around me, but I’ve been neglecting me. Yea, I do take a moment here and there when I get in crisis mode, like a pain here or there, or I feel ill or something. But I’ve realized that lately I have not been able to really face myself in the mirror because I don’t look like me anymore.
I still wear make up, I still dress nicely (some of the time), but that face looking back at me is not me. Who’s that person staring back at me I wondered. I wouldn’t call it a mid-life crisis (not there yet) I call it my wake up call.
I think back to my parents and how they were at my age. They were both so young and vital. They really both didn’t have any ailments to complain about. They didn’t until they hit the 60s. I don’t want to walk that road of inherited medical issues and I will if I don’t begin to take better care of myself.
I just got too busy, and really, too darn comfortable with myself to really push as hard as I once did when I was younger and in my prime. Yep, the world was my oyster back in the day, I had it good and now I realize that I had it that good! Now that I’m older I do see that now.
Since I’ve not been sticking to a workout program or really sticking to a healthy way of life, I’ve felt like I’m dragging and I can really feel it. The aches and pains are there, arthritis runs in my bloodline and I feel it all over already!
So I’ve got to stop paying lip service to me and really make time for myself. That means eating a more healthy diet. There are changes afoot right now and I’ve been eating on the run too much. It’s not nice at all!

I’ve also got to set an example for my children because I want them to be healthy and not feed on junk, which I’ve slackened on lately.

Yep, I’ve got to whip us all back into shape and get our butts back on that healthy road in the name of good health and long life.

I do like me still, which is very important. I’ve finally grown into myself so to speak. I’m more aware than I’ve ever been of what I want to do with my life. Mind you even though I’m still very much a work in progress, I am aware of what I want to do. There’s a difference than say twenty years ago.
Sing it Toby!

“I ain't as good as I once was

I got a few years on me now

But there was a time, back in my prime

When I could really lay it down

And if you need some love tonight

Then I might have just enough

I ain't as good as I once was

But I'm as good once as I ever was"

Oh yeah, “I ain’t as good as I once was but I’m as good as I ever was”……so true, so true!

Comments