Runner's Knees

My workout partner and I have been walking for the past two days, not just in the mornings as we usually do with the Ladies Who Walk (my name for us) but also during our evening run.  We have added more distance to our running.  We wanted to challenge ourselves some more because after a while, your body gets used to a certain workout, and especially when the workout becomes repetitive, it doesn't seem to be a challenge anymore.  While I'm not "there" yet,  running freely non-stop with the wind blowing through my hair.....OK, I was dreaming for a minuted there..., I was getting comfortable with the run we were doing and felt I could do more.  I wanted to challenge myself too so I was up for it!

Now instead of going 2.5 miles, we were doing 3.8 miles!  It wasn't that hard really, it was acceptable to me, as long as when I feel as if I'm about to pass out....maybe not pass out.. but when I feel it becomes too much, we would slow down, speed walk until I catch my breath, then 2 seconds later we would be running again!

The first run was great, it left us winded, but we felt good.  The next day, my right knee felt sore.  I mentioned this to my buddy, she was OK with hers... I said it's good we can run that day and we did.  The next day, she had a problem with her knee too.  The difference is, she was in more pain than I was, running would cause too much stress on her knee. So we decided to walk for a couple of days until her knee felt up to it! We're both wondering if we did too much too fast?  Did we become over confident with our abilities or maybe we need to stretch more before running?

At any rate, we're being careful so as not to cause permanent injury to ourselves.  I wonder how people who run for a living or who are always in Marathons, how do they do it?

Comments