Brain Power

Sometimes I blame it on getting old. Other times I wonder if I'm going senile?  But I am too young to get senile, aren't I?  Then I wonder if it's the early stages of Alzheimer?!  I cannot understand why I forget some things, some of the time?   It drives me nuts trying to remember where I had put something for safe keeping! Or when I'm in the middle of a conversation and I'm trying to remember someones name; my friends have gotten used to this, they now play a guessing game and give each other imaginary score points on which of them can guess who Donna is referring to!  I'm so bad with names it is ridiculous!

The thing is, if I don't have to deal with someone more than once or twice or on a regular basis, I won't forget what we did, or what I had to do for them, but I will be darn if I can remember their name!  So yes, you can see why I worry that I"m in the early stages of....something! 

Recently on Good Morning America, psychologist Denise Park revealed that normal memory loss begins at the "ripe old age" of 20!  We begin to have memory loss at such a young age!  I was surprised when I heard this!  So it is normal to have little lapses such as forgetting where you placed your car keys, or something minor - nothing to worry about!

However, one should be aware of how often this happens and whether there is cause for concern by pursuing medical help, in my opinion!  I have had conversations with my doctor during yearly check ups, who basically told me it's nothing to worry about, yet.  I will definitely be having that conversation again.  And in the mean time I will read all I can on what is plain old forgetfulness or something more to worry about, such as Alzheimer's disease.

Here are some links to read:  http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/DrJohnson/story?id=127178&page=1
and that article regard Denise Park's findings: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=117281&page=1

Comments