Are you listening?

The pastor made me realise something as I sat listening to him this past Sunday, I've been taking God for granted. I've been bullying my way to him, making demands, telling him what I want, how I want it to be and when I want it to happen! But this is what our Lord is there for isn't it?  He's there to help us, give us reassurance, listen to our prayers and grant our wishes, just like a fairy god mother!

Well, all that is well and good, but are we doing our part?  God is doing his part, there for us when we need him, doing all that we ask of him to do, even when we think he takes way too long to grant some prayers. But, are we listening to him?  Do we hear when he speaks to us? 

It hit me right in the gut as I sat there that I have not been listening.  I have been too busy making demands, bemoaning my problems, way too busy with "me and my wants" to even hear anything that is being said. Wow! It was like a light bulb moment for me. I promised myself to slow down and really listen to the voices that I hear inside of me, telling me what I need to do, and assisting me with some of the decisions I am making. I have been too busy looking at what is not working in my life, what is constantly going wrong and what I don't have.

It's time for me to shut up and listen. I know what I have to do because his voice has been there all along whispering in my ear.  I let myself get buried by what I perceived my wants to be, the loudness of these wants made me turn a deaf ear to the voices that have been there all along.  I am here and I am listening.

Comments