Making Assumptions, Generalizations, Inferences....

Have you ever been in a friendly environment, around strangers that would naturally make you acquaintances just because of that moment you are in?  Normally, not one that would make you come away from it with a "Uh, what was that all about" thought in your head!  This happened to me recently, and got me thinking why this would happen?  Actually hubby and I had the same reaction from our separate experiences with the same individuals!

Usually when I'm in workout-play-mode with my kids (generalizing, in this case kids = grandson + my 9 y.o.), I am dressed in a comfortable manner, sneakers, loose pants or legging, tee shirt. My hair & makeup not fussy. Hey, we're not talking photographic moment here!  I was having fun with the kids, and kept bumping into these two ladies.  Basically, while my daughter was occupied with a new playmate she just met, I was occupied with my grandson, running after him which is always a great workout!lol!  Upon my third contact with the ladies, I made eye contact but got the quick "shifty-eyes" move, you know, the-glazed-glance-over-no-need-to-make-contact move!
 Maybe it was just me. so upon bumping into them again, I smiled and tried again....same reaction!  It was as if I was invisible!  Wow!  I carried on with my playful baby-boy while shaking off the experience.

I made an observation while doing this. Unobserved I looked at both women carefully, nicely dressed, casual outfits, seemingly nice people.  Mind you, I'm not judging just observing, but would it be a major faux paux if I were to say how they looked to me?   They were both good looking women.  One was very shapely, wearing a more revealing workout outfit, the other was in more looser fitting clothing, and I noticed her built because I was admiring the muscles on her arms, and the shape of her back, she had the V-shape of someone who worked out a lot, "nice muscles" I thought!  Then my instincts kicked into overdrive!  Wait, are they perhaps a couple?  Could one or the other think I was making a move? "Uhhh!"  No way!   Looking the way I did, I'm not exactly looking very 'girly' today.  My instincts are never wrong, then again, let me not make any assumptions!  You know what they say about people who assume too much?  Need I spell that out?!

This experience had me thinking though.  Do people go around with chips on their shoulders?  Is it Society that make us this way?  Or are we our own worse enemies?  Were they possibly more than friends? Was  I seem as a threat?   Perhaps they were just having a bad day?  I know not everyone has to want to be your friend and I wasn't looking for any.  But being in an environment that leads strangers in like-minded activities or events, would lead to casual acquaintances wouldn't it?   And we did meet a few acquaintances in the course of the day who we shared nods, smiles and even light conversations & observations with.  Now that is being normal!

Comments