Fair Use

Recently something I posted on the Internet, first to YouTube, and then to Facebook came under question.  I won't use the word attack because that would be an unnecessary word to use.  My kiddies and hubby and me attended a book festival recently. I took lots of pictures, as I love to do. I uploaded the photos and decided to make it into a movie, and I added music.  I selected music from Ladysmith Black Mombazo, whose CD I have had for several years now.  I love their sound and thought it would be a good fit to my movie, especially with the Star Wars Storm troopers being in a couple of the pictures.  
Link to my video:  http://youtu.be/5LGIkbHCmmc

Uploading to YouTube, I received a message that someone was claiming copyright infringement??? The same thing happened when I uploaded my movie to Facebook!  I was rather surprised, because, 1. I wasn't selling anything and 2. I gave credit where credit was due, naming the CD and singers, and YouTube even named the particular song for me that was playing from the album!  Well, long story short, my picture movies are still up and I guess everything is OK. However, I had to respond to both YouTube and Facebook that I meant no harm, the CD was mine, and I gave credit where it was due. Plus, I wasn't selling anything!  

Looking around on YouTube and on other blog sites, I do see where some bloggers have noted their use of work that might be deemed as copyrighted.  And many have included this disclaimer:


"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."


It most certainly is "fair use" wouldn't you agree?  If what is being used is not for the intention of earning money or the item(s) are not being misused or misrepresented.  I for one am quite on board with any Copyright laws and contents, as well as Intellectual Property rights, etc., no one wants to have what they've worked hard to create and/or brand be misused all over the place.  I've even put a "disclaimer" tab on my blog site.  And have asked for any of my work being used elsewhere to be credited properly and/or notifying me upon such use.  So I do get it!!!! 

I tell you what dear reader, understanding and deciphering Copyright laws, rules and/or regulations can be quite intimidating.  As a peruser of the Intraweb and a blogger, and dare I say a social media-interested person (no, not maven, I'm no expert!), I have to be very careful of how anything that I do is used because it doesn't take much to have your intentions mistrued!  I will be looking into this a bit further and will update my disclaimer tab soon.

The link below is one of the best, in my opinion, explanation of the United States copyright law to the "lay-person".

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

Comments