Mom, get off my social network!

Seriously?  You want me, your loving mommy to stay away from the Internet?  Not to socialize with like-minded friends she has met online, (even though for your entire life I've told you not to talk to strangers). You want me to never, ever, be your friend on Facebook, tweet you a tweet, posting that photo of myself, or the one of you picking your nose to any of my social sites? You can't figure out what I'm doing on Pinterest and you reluctantly shared your views with me when I asked you about Instagram?  You don't want me to be so Internet-savvy, Seriously?!

So dear reader, what did your moms ever do to you?  Why can't she enjoy your favorite past time of being on the Internet?  Is it so wrong for mothers to have an interest in web surfing?!  We are people too.  We get bored just the same way, maybe not as quickly as you do; we're too busy raising you, even at the tender age of 17, 21, 30, 40...(insert your age there), among the other gazillion things we do!  Mothers are humans, get it younger people?  We enjoy social interactions and the shock of it, learning new things!  Oh the horror that your mom has a facebook account and wants to befriend you....noooooo!

I realize there is that line in the sand that our children have put there for us parents. They don't want to know we have friends on any social network, let alone actually interacting with them online.  I totally understand your misgivings, there are just some things that you don't want your parents to know about you.  Um, good luck with that, moms are pretty intuitive, especially about their child!  However, if you don't want your mom to be "all up in your bizniz" then sit and have a talk with her.  Reassure her that she has taught you well and you know how to handle yourself online.  Especially since these days, what you do and say online will pretty much come back to haunt you at some point in your life!  So listen to your mother!

But, at the same time, leave your parent alone. They too have interests, whether it is business related or just as a hobby.  They want to have a life online too and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.  So lay off kid, you might just be surprise of how much fun it is to have a socially savvy mom!



*Image from bbb.org via "free use images of moms using internet" search on Google.com

Comments