What's in a Name?


Your name, that which you are known by.  It is how people know who you are, am I not right dear reader?  After all, we all have to have one.  There's no one in this world without a name.  I don't think I've ever heard of anyone who is nameless.  Without it, who would you be?  How would you be correctly identified?  So, in short, your name is very, very important!


Imagine if you meet someone and you forgot his or her name?  Would that be a very embarrassing moment for you?  Especially if this person is someone who you are acquainted with quite often.  Shouldn't you know this acquaintance's name?  Of course you should!  What happens if you don't remember his/her name?  Or even worse, if the name you are calling this person is the WRONG NAME?!!!! ~Hangs head in shame~!

I am so guilty of that embarrassing moment!  OMG, if I were a lighter shade of pale, my face would be a brilliant shade of red! I gave the look of a deer in a headlight, mumbling my apology and wishing the floor would open up and swallow me! ~oofftt~

I will be the first to admit that I am bad with names.  I've read the articles that gives you an idea on how to go about remembering people's name, but that just doesn't work for me.  My thing is, if I don't have to deal with you on a regular basis, I won't remember your name.  I will remember your face, but your name.....not!  Not until I have to speak to you often, and then I have to say your name out loud, several times.  I would inject your name into the conversation just so my mind will remember "This is Jeff, don't forget it"! And each time that I see you, and you say hello, I don't just give you a "Hi there!" response.  I would say, "Hi there Jeff"!  Because I remembered your name!  That's how it works for me.

Unfortunately, if all the time I've known you, I have called you by someone elses name...well, color me embarrassed! 

Comments