10 Things you don't have to have by the time you're 40

Sometime ago, I shared a link in an article about the things that you don't have to have by the time you are 30!  I joked that I might just do a list for the 40-Somethings out there!  Well, this is it dear readers!

I'm not the expert on being 40-something!  I don't have the answers to "it" all!  However, I've lived a pretty varied life and experience enough to come to the realization that, "Hey, I'm not getting any younger, however it's not the end of the world if...." and I could name you long lists of "if's"!!!!!  I'm also tired of hearing the "coulda's", "shoulda's" and "if only's" coming from others, including from my own mouth...... I refuse to utter those words anymore I recently told my hubby.   Isn't that the reason why we can't move on in our lives and we even sometimes inadvertently block anything new and positive coming to us?  Well, I think it is!  We've all made mistakes and no one is totally perfect!

So without further ado, here are the 10 things you don't have to have (or have done) by the time you're 40!

1) Riches/Wealth/Being a Millionaire....

Yes, that's first on my list.  It goes without saying that having wealth would make anyone's life even better than it already is, and money does make the world go around doesn't it?!  Agreed!  So am I saying you need to have more of it?  Hmmm, you do the math!  Because I've come to realized that it doesn't matter how much money you have, it just matters how you use what you do have!


2) A fancy job and/or title...

Again, it doesn't hurt to have these, but don't just find a job, find a career!  Find something that you love and grow with it!  I keep telling my kids and any other young people who will listen to me! In fact, I had this conversation with my 11 year old and one of her play mates recently, they're never too young to instill dreams in, am right?!  Even better, become an entrepreneur!  Note to self: Get off your ass & do this!


3) Your dream house... 

It is OK if you don't even own one yet.  You can own a condo or a vacation home...a car or two...hey...no one is judging and if they are, find new friends!  Who says there's no more time left to dream? It can happen, it just doesn't have to have a timeline! As my friend Jannett said the other day, "Remember to keep saying that you will have that dream house, don't forget"!  I certainly won't forget!   Note to self:  make this a mantra!


4) A bucket list...

You've probably seen the movie with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman?  It was a fun movie to watch! Worthy of a lot of "escapism" thoughts too!  Where you drift off mentally thinking about all those "stuff" you want to do one day!  I keep telling myself to stop saying "one day I'm going to do so and so..." well, when will that one day be?  I honestly don't know! I usually have to plan whatever it is that I want to do and there are times when my plans just don't mensch! Meh~   But this doesn't mean that we stop making plans right?! Go out there and have an adventure!


5) A banging body...

Yep, I said it, a banging body!  There are some really fit and beautiful 40-something..heck 60-something too, out there!  The fact that they could possibly be vegetarian (not eating any junk), exercise a lot, have no stress, and all of the good things that makes their fantastic body possible....heck, more power to anyone who does!  However, if you look your age...don't stress it!  If you are overweight, don't stress it!  If you really want to have the body of a 25 year old...start working out!!!! Let's be honest, if you were not born with the genes of Raquel Welch, or Jennifer Aniston (for the younger generation), then you will have to exercise and eat healthier to have the body you want!


6) A personal relationship/lover/partner/wife/husband...

I'm among the lucky ones who have been in a relationship with my hubby for a pretty long time now.  How lucky am I?  That's a good question!  There are times when the girls and I laugh at how lucky I might just not be! Kidding!lol! Seriously though dear readers, not everyone have found their perfect partner in love. Some may have had that special person and have lost them.  It doesn't mean you won't ever be in a relationship again.  Sometimes it might take a little longer, don't give up if you are looking for this person.  However, you have to do something about it. Go out and meet people, join a group or club, socialize.....he or she is not going to just appear out of thin air!


7) Children...

As with a personal relationship, not all of us were meant to have children. Some women and yes, even some men, do not want children and that is OK. Why would you rag on someone who doesn't want off springs?  Even if you don't understand the reason, hey, it is their prerogative. And there are those who have only one child, same reasoning applies!


8) Knowing your destiny.

Perhaps it would be better to know what it is you are going to be by the time you're 40.  If you do, that is a great thing and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that!  However, if you don't know, and you're still searching at age 40 and up, it's not the end of the world; and it is not too late to become who you want to be now, or tomorrow, or even next week!  We all have had some pre-conceived notion of who we wanted to become when we were younger. We might have even worked at it.  Then things happen, we got side-tracked, or pushed off the road for whatever reason. This doesn't mean that we stop! Heck no!  So, what are you waiting for...? Carry on!


9) The answers to everything...

By the time you are 40, or older, we should know a thing or two because we are smart, and there is something great about life-lessons!  However, I don't know the answer to every problem or situation that arises.  I can, from my life-experiences try to fix a problem, provide a solution to a given situation, even handle whatever is thrown in my direction, (I'm no idiot and neither or you)!  But alas, I don't have the answer to everything! That's what Google is for, or a good book, or biographies at the library....seek and you will find!



10) You don't have to follow the path well-traveled...

You don't have to do what others have done, or even what they are doing.  You don't have to go into business with someone who wants you to climb a pyramid wall with them!  Only if you want to!  Not everyone will have the same success in life.  Your success might be here and now.  My success might just be waiting around the corner for me to bump into it!  Does it really matter?  Live your life how you want, doing what you really want; and follow your dreams! 


Hmmm, this is not quite the "earth-shaking" list, but I think I've mentioned a few good ones!  Any thoughts?


Comments

  1. I like this list because it's realistic! And hey, I am in my fifties and I STILL don't have all of these things, anyway. The biggest thing is just finding happiness inside yourself for who you are, and not worrying about being what you believe others think you should be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marcia! Being happy is so important, number 1 on my list! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading with me. I would love to hear your thoughts on what you just read!