40 Days & 40 Nights: The Sacrifices Made

Yesterday was Ash Wednesday, how many of you knew that dear readers?  Ash Wednesday is the first day of lent for many Christians, and many denominations do observe this day. 
Ash Wednesday derives its name from the practice of placing ashes (formally called The Imposition of Ashes) on the foreheads of adherents as a celebration and reminder of human mortality, and as a sign of mourning and repentance to God. The ashes used are typically gathered from the burning of the palms from the previous year's Palm Sunday.[5] (from Wikipedia.com)
I personally do not go out to receive the mark of ashes. I've never done that really.  It doesn't make me less of a believer in God. I do respect others who do though, one of my girlfriends makes it a point of duty to have it annually and that is great.  The one thing that I do for lent is to give something up, a form of sacrifice so to speak.  I usually choose something that I love, I mean, really love, and yes, it's always something that I eat. It's chocolate. I usually give up chocolate....and for me, that's hard!   

Did you know that in Ireland Ash Wednesday is a no smoking day?  Yes, on this day many will give up smoking, which they consider a luxury, for a day?  Also, In the Netherlands, it is a day to eat salted Herring marking the end of their carnival season.  Who knew?! I actually like salted herring!lol! 

When you give something up, it is a sacrifice of sort isn't it?  For me, chocolate isn't a must, but it is a luxury, and I love to indulge in it and man, do I indulge!  That is why I usually choose to give it up at this time of the year.  This year however, I am going even further. I have decided to give up meat. Yes, meat!!!!! Oh. My. God! Yes, a pact between me and the big guy. 

I really don't know if I can last, but I'm going to try and what better way to see how I manage than to share on my blog?! When you believe in something, and you want to make changes in your life, you do what you can to make it work. Some people pray; some people fast, and make sacrifices.  

I won't share with you everyday about my quest, however, I will share weekly on how I am doing. Today was difficult. We are a meat eating family, period. Chicken, beef and pork, yep, meat eaters. After cooking dinner, it was one of the hardest thing not to indulge. But I stood strong and I didn't eat any meat!!!!! Whew~ day one.....It felt good resisting the temptation to eat meat.

Fasting for lent isn't only about sacrificing because you want something.  It is about repentance. It is about doing and having things in moderation, and it is especially about spiritual discipline. You can choose this time to begin or continue your spiritual journey, growing in the knowledge that will bring you closer to whatever goals you desire. Have you ever fasted, or given up anything in observance of Lent?  Drop me a line or a comment to let me know what your experience was like.

You can go to each of the links below to understand more about Lent:
https://www.catholic.org/clife/lent/ashwed.php 
http://christianity.about.com/od/holidaytips/qt/whatisashwednes.htm



Comments

  1. This is really cool, Donna! I didn't realize the ashes were made from the palms from the previous year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading with me. I would love to hear your thoughts on what you just read!