A Teen's Favorite Lament - I'm BORED

d-foreverserenity.com
There was a time when it didn't take much to captivate her
I am racking my brain trying to recall back in the days of my youth if I had ever uttered the words "Mom, I'm bored"  Not that I can recall. Not in a "million years"!

Yet those are often the words of my daughter, now 13, and her friends; they are constantly bored, it doesn't matter what they're doing, who they are with, or where they're going,  They are always bored!  

d-foreverserenity.com
Having fun w/her nephew
Keeping her occupied was so easy!
What is it with teens these days?  I remember once my daughter Amanda and I we were out and about, we were busy, then I heard the words, "Mom, I'm bored..".  I asked her how she could be bored doing something that she wanted to do?   I wanted to get to the bottom of this, so I asked her why are you bored, what is it that makes you bored?   She didn't have a definitive answer.  As teens it doesn't matter what they are doing they always seem to be bored and the funniest thing is their attention span is very, very short.  It doesn't take much to hold their attention and if it does, only for a moment.

d-foreverserenity.com
Yes,  I get involved w/dressing up too!lol! (this was after a long night of trick n treat)
I remember when I was a teen I used to play games, read (my favorite past time) I did so many different things to keep myself occupied.  I have taught each of my children to do this, while keeping them occupied and involved when they were growing up. My teen (she's the youngest) just doesn't want to be bothered with this these days and I look at it as being lazy.  They have become a lazy society.  Teens and young people in general in today's society will claim how bored they are instead of occupying themselves.  If they are not interested in playing sports or doing other physical activities, there doesn't seem to be much for them to do?  I say poppycock!  I am going to remind her of what she can do or be doing, I will keep showing and guiding her so that she can develop better habits.

d-foreverserenity.com
~sidenote~ Am I not rocking my red fro though?!lol! One of our mom-daughter selfies!
It's of course not as easy, these days our kids when they are older, dictate their likes and dislikes.  We as parents allow this because we want them to be independent thinkers.  I say yes to all that, but within reason.  For now, she'll just have to be occupied with hanging with her friends, playing dance on the Wii, going to youth services, being active in dance class and hanging with mom and explore whenever possible!
d-foreverserenity.comd-foreverserenity.com
 Goofing off in these selfies!


d-foreverserenity.com
Striking a pose!


Comments