Happiness, how do you define it?

"Happiness is how you arrange your mind" that is what Dr. Wayne W. Dyer who wrote the book "The Power of Intention" quoted from a letter he was reading. What a profound statement! He was reading from a letter he received from a fan (I think because I was channel surfing and bumped into his reading the letter).

The woman who sent it was moving into a nursing home, her husband of so many years had recently died, and being of a certain age herself she had to move into a nursing home. She was waiting in the foyer as her room was being prepared. Finally the assistant came to get her and was describing her room to her. Eyelet curtains hung on the window, the size of the room, (which wasn't very large), but before the assistant could complete giving the widow a description she stated quite joyously, "I love it". This surprised the assistant who remarked that she hasn't even seen the room yet, and how small it was. The widow's response was "it doesn't matter what it looks like, or whether I like the room or not, it matters how I arrange my mind" . Wow!

Think about this friends, how happy you are depends on how you look at things, despite the outcome,despite what you expect or know will happen. Remember the mind is a very powerful tool. It feeds on what we put into it, so this makes a lot of sense!A few minutes prior to that, my kids are sleeping and my hubby and I had an intimate moment, (was that TMI?!!!LOL! - listen if you knew my kids you would know why we grab every moment!) But after I took my shower, I put on that dress that you see me in my new user pic, it's a flowery pattern, black and white halter dress. It immediately brought me back to my weekend last week at the beach! I smiled and whispered to myself, how happy I felt. Everything might not be the way I want it right now, but how I think, how I make myself look on things, makes me very happy! I whispered a thank you to God for my blessings, and for being where I am right now in my life and vowed to continue making the best of life.

Then I walked into the LR smiling and channel surfed, and walla....the letter.....how poignant is that?!

I hope you have a great day today, thinking happy thoughts! I'm expecting my grandson very soon. And I plan to go to the pool with a very eager 7 year old who swindled me into buying her new goggles and scuba flippers and breathing apparatus last night at Target!

Comments

  1. I am so sorry I haven't visited your blog before! I have gotten forgetful!

    Love you and love your thoughts!

    I agree -- we have to grab onto and focus on those happy moments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brandie! That's ok. I have been blogging happily along here and I've recently started a Live Journal one too! Trying to see which works better. But as some of you are here, and some there, I might just keep them both. Love you and hope things are well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading with me. I would love to hear your thoughts on what you just read!