What do you want, exactly?

"Does it ever get any better?” my friend asked me. I looked at her, surprised by the question, laughed a little (out of derision more than anything else) and told her, “Yes it will”! It doesn’t matter what she is asking me exactly, it matters that I give her a positive response to give her hope. You have to have hope because if you don’t, then what is the point of all this? Why are we here? Would God be that cruel to let us all be here, going through the ups and downs of our lives, to what end? And no, we won’t get philosophical on this (not too much!), debating the ins and outs of religion, or deliberating the over-debated question of who was here first?


I heard the frustration in her voice, saw the stooping of the shoulders and I understand what it is like to have that mix of emotions running through your head. I reassured her that of course it won’t be easy, some of the times it will be difficult, and you can’t force other people to see things your way. You just have to be patient with them, most of all you have to be patient with yourself.

Feeling frustrated with yourself and at life in general is a very normal thing. It is alright to have doubts, to question your very existence. It is a natural response that we each have at one point or another. When it seems like what you’re trying to do is so hard to do! When it feels like you’re the only one having your experiences, when your life doesn’t seem to be moving forward, it is as if your goals are wholly unattainable!

It might seem it is easy for me to say, “Oh yes, it will get better”, not at all. Because I know that very question that is being asked of me, I have asked myself one time too many!

You have to look at the big picture, of where you are going; at where you want to be; at what it is you want, exactly! You have to really want it, because when you do, nothing will stop you, no matter how long it takes you, and above all things, you have to have hope!

Comments