Motivational Mondays: Is it a waste of time to follow your heart?

www.d-foreverserenity.com
You have got to do what you love
I read an article in The Chronicle Review written by Darryl Campbell, "A Dropout's Tale".  He wrote that he had dropped out of graduate school and left a great job (where he was earning good money) to pursue his dreams. He was very optimistic and had all the hopes that everything would fall into place for him pretty quickly so that he would be able to do what he loved and also earn the money he needed, despite the economy.

Things didn't work out that way for him. He ended up being unemployed for more than a year and it was a long hard struggle to get to the place where he wanted to be.  He began to question himself and the choices he made.  Should he have made the choice he did to follow his heart?  He determined that he had done the right thing for himself, and the one thing he didn't do was to give in and give up. Instead he changed his strategies and expectations when he saw that he couldn't go directly into the dream-role he foresaw for himself.  The changes he made finally landed him a position at a company doing something that he never thought he would ever do!  The plus for him, he was no longer unemployed, and he was able to continue to follow his heart.

My point in writing this is to ask you, do you think it is a waste of time to follow your heart? If you decided to take the leap and do whatever it is you have always dreamt of doing, should you give up if it doesn't work out, or continue on nonetheless? Would you?

It takes someone with really big courage to do what they really want to do in life and just go for it.  I admire that type of person very much.  There have been certain times over the years that I have thrown caution to the wind and jump in to opportunities by taking that leap of faith in myself, and Faith won!  This coming year, 2014, I am challenging myself to get out of my "comfort-zone" and follow the paths that I've always dreamt of taking!  However, I will err on the wings of caution because I don't have the luxury of jumping in feet first!  When there are others to think of, I do have to do things this way.

But I do wonder dear readers, what about you?  Will you take the chance and follow your heart?  Do you plan to do it anytime soon?   There are certain times in our lives when we must let go, hang on with faith, and follow our hearts.   I would love to hear what you dream of doing, and how you will be going about making your dream(s) a reality.

Comments