Fitness Wednesdays: Do's and Don'ts for using the Elliptical Machine


I like to vary my workout by working out at the gym or at other times I will be outside running, or at home working out to a DVD. When I do workout at the gym my pattern is usually, Dumbbells first, that means stretching too, the weight machine and then jump rope or other total body workout in the exercise room. Then it's off to the treadmill to run until I get tired.

For those times when I do jump onto the elliptical machine I usually push the start button and begin moving my arms and legs to get an effective workout.  I try to vary my speed, moving my legs backwards, then forward, then I would add more arm movements and repeat this again, and again. If you have used the elliptical before, do you find yourself doing the same thing?  If you do then we're not doing so badly because that is definitely a workout plan!

If you don't have a specific plan however, I've found a 20-minute workout that will be useful to both of us.  Before I share it, let's do a checklist to ensure we're both doing what is necessary when it comes to using the elliptical.

The Elliptical's Handy Checklist of Do's & Don'ts (~sspppt ~ I made that title up ~ stage whisper)

Before hopping on to the machine, do have a workout plan - that is, know what you're going to be doing so that you can have an effective workout.

Don't slouch when you're on the machine...I know, we're using our legs, but you will need to be upright...or else you will fall...safety first.

You must use the handles.  Because of how I workout when on the elliptical, I vary using the handles, they are great for working your arms by the way.  When I am not using the handles, I am holding onto the cross bar and checking my stats at the same time.  As I do that I work my legs even harder.  So, do use the handles because it enhances your overall workout.

Remember I mentioned above that I repeat my routine?  Well, I'm not supposed to.  I guess I don't get an effective workout that way. However, I believe in doing REPS because it helps to give you a good workout, I guess that means just don't repeat the same workout consistently day after day

Last but not least, we all like to read, watch television, listen to music while we workout.  They recommend not to have your electronic device with you, that would be your tablet or iPad. Because if you're reading, you won't get a good workout, so don't take your tablet with you.  But I definitely recommend listening to music for extra motivation and focus, works for me!

Now for the 20-minute workout I mentionedWalk your fingers over to this link and click to see the full article, then scroll to the bottom for the 20-minute Elliptical WorkoutDo print it so that you can have it.  Nope, you're still not taking that iPad to the gym!

















Comments